Fodi site logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Search:     Advanced search
+  Fodi at Baldninja.com
|-+  Fodi: The Forums
| |-+  Comic Reactions
| | |-+  Shading is hard.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Shading is hard.  (Read 6460 times) Print
Matt

Group: Administrator
Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

So wow. For a comic or two today (specifically the comics for the 28th and 29th) I was doing some shading, because a certain something just didn't look right unshaded.  Wow, I really like the effect, but holy moly is it hard on the hand.  On the comic for the 29th, I was up to around 14-15 layers before I finished.  And my hand hurt.  It was like my hand was the target of burning, searing rage.  Then it got better, but wow.  It was a lot of work, though less work than I thought it would be, once I realised how to use the layers to do what I wanted to do.
-------------------------------
I like cheese.
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile WWW Email
Magusman

Position: Reality TV

You're doing a good job so far.  Colored comics are good.  The head bald ninja's beard looks a bit odd though...
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile Email
Matt

It quite possible could be a beneficial parasitic creature that attaches to the face of master ninjas.  It accelerates his movements and silences feet, thus allowing him to sneak around more efficiently.  Or I can't draw breads.  But I rather like how it looks.

Anyway, I hope you'll see soon that the color itself improves.  I'm working in a bit more detail as I get used to it.  The downside is that coloring takes me longer than I initially expected.  If this time doesn't decrease, I may end up having to cut back on update frequency to take the extra time into account.  The benefit of that, of course, is that it'll add time to scripting, etc, so the end result should be better comics in general.
I like cheese.
Lindsay

Position: Soldier of Justice

It quite possible count be? Ok. It might be 4 in the morning, but surely I'm not the only one who doesn't understand that? Maybe I'm just too sleepy to make any sense of it...
She's so deliciously low, so horribly dirty.
Very Sleepy People

"Sed omnia praeclara tam difficilia quam rara sunt."
Magusman

Hey, I could deal with a 4 comics a week schedule.  Maybe update on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.  That way, you have one more comic per week than most other comics that update 3 times a week (like Megatokyo or Errant Story whenever things don't come up for Poe) and it matches up with my CTRL+ALT+DEL schedule nicely so I can check both this and CAD on those four days.  Cutting back on update frequency would also be more advantageous since comics would be higher in quality.

On the other hand, you could stick to the current schedule and try to learn how to color better through practice, and therefore increase efficiency, or seek out CG masters out there to learn tricks of the trade.  The current schedule is a nice regimen that keeps you in practice more.

Of course, it's really all up to you O' Great Artist.
Matt

Lindsay: Fixed the typo. I'm sure it makes more sense now that "count" has had it's "nt" shot and replaced by special ops "ld" strike forces.

I was actually thinking MTRF As far as a 4 day schedule goes.  Or TWRF, so that I don't have to do anything on Sunday.  I did think about a CAD type update schedule, but I can never remember when they update, so I'm thinking there has to be at least a few others like me.  Of course, because I can't remember when he updates, I just check everyday, so it works to someone's advantage theoretically, but from what I understand, it's better to stick to something regular and easy to follow.  But really I was thinking just a straight MTWRF for an initial dropback when and if that ever occurs.

I'd like to think this coloring/shading stuff gets quicker.  I'm finding now that I can flail through the edge correction a bit faster now, and that's all just manual control of the mouse more than anything else.  Mouses are incredibly clunky and suck for drawing, but I don't have room for a tablet and I don't know how to use them anyway.  Now that I found the airbrush tool the other day, I'm getting a lettle quicker at the shading.  I generally just swoop in with that haphazardly.  It's kinda an amusing little game in its own right.
I like cheese.
Magusman

Any of the schedules you mentioned, whether MTRF, TWRF, or five day MTWRF, would work well.  I'm used to three comics a week for about half of the comics I religiously read and for most of the rest, I would be lucky to even see one or two comics per week.  Then again, I'm a really patient man (hey, I've stuck with Megatokyo over all these years...) so others should put input on what schedules would make them happy.  Regardless, the schedule should ultimately be whatever you are most comfortable with and can handle.

Like I said before, coloring tends to get easier as you practice more.  You can also possibly learn from others who also do a lot of coloring and CG work.  There's a lot of people out there, such as on forums, who can give you a pointer or two.  Or you can Google a tutorial or some such.

Still, your artwork has greatly improved since the beginning of the comic and I'm quite sure your skills will continue to get better.  Keep up the good work.
The Dark Agent

Position: Soldier of Justice

This is The Agent speaking...

When I finally got my internet access back yesterday (damn campus ethernet) I noticed that FODI is in 100% color.  

Great job!  I love what your doing with it.  When I look at some of your 1st FODI comics I think, "oh God!, why did you ever think you could draw!"  Now it's all semi-professional looking.
Click and become one with your inner villain at the Intl. Evil Collective
Matt

That's remarkably similar to what I think when I look back and compare.  Then I realise I didn't think I could draw, just that I wanted to draw. :)
I like cheese.
« previous next »
Print
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: