Fodi site logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Search:     Advanced search
+  Fodi at Baldninja.com
|-+  Fodi: The Forums
| |-+  Off The Beaten Path
| | |-+  Introduce yourself!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 36930 times) Print
Matt

Group: Administrator
Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

Thanks!

See, we EEs always referred to it as "The Clean Room," so it's no wonder that confused me. The subset of RIT students that is the intersection of females and "knows that's a nitrogen tank" was composed of 80% mu-e majors, and 20% other majors when I was there, so I figured that with a .8 probability of you being a mu-e, it was a reasonably safe assumption.
-------------------------------
I like cheese.
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile WWW Email
RITgal

Position: Lesser Justice

Thanks!

See, we EEs always referred to it as "The Clean Room," so it's no wonder that confused me. The subset of RIT students that is the intersection of females and "knows that's a nitrogen tank" was composed of 80% mu-e majors, and 20% other majors when I was there, so I figured that with a .8 probability of you being a mu-e, it was a reasonably safe assumption.

I would say it was a reasonably safe assumption.  Few students actually look through the fence to see it's a Nitrogen tank.  I guess the sketchy factor of the fence tends to make people avoid it more often than not. 

Most people outside of the MicroE dept refer to it as the clean room.  I'm just a little jaded from hanging around the MicroE dept so much that I just call it the SMFL automatically.  Uh....sorry?

Wait... there's enough females in the MicroE dept to generate a .8 probability in something?
Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:01:18 PM by RITgal
"Hell, I vote for outer space.  No way these are local boys."
Steve

Position: Hiyah-weizen

Quote from: RITgal
Wait... there's enough females in the MicroE dept to generate a .8 probability in something?

Compared to the REST of the engineering depts, yes.
Steve
In  the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower's a perfect one
Shawna

Position: Reality TV

Compared to the REST of the engineering depts, yes.
Yeah, when I was in Software Engineering there, I was one of 7 girls in the entire department (for all 5 years of studens - I counted the folders with female names).  When I was leaving, the secretary was like "we're losing another one!"
The Dark Agent

Position: Soldier of Justice

This is The Agent speaking...

I LIVE!!!!
Click and become one with your inner villain at the Intl. Evil Collective
Lindsay

I LIVE!!!!

Welcome back, sir. :)
She's so deliciously low, so horribly dirty.
Very Sleepy People

"Sed omnia praeclara tam difficilia quam rara sunt."
The Dark Agent

Thank you kind lady.  Hopefully I'll stick around a little longer than my last visit about a year ago. 
Lindsay

Thank you kind lady.  Hopefully I'll stick around a little longer than my last visit about a year ago.

Hopefully! We'll just have to start being a more talkative bunch, I guess. Then maybe you'll have motivation to stick around.
Very Sleepy People

RITgal

Position: Lesser Justice

Welcome back Agent.

Hopefully! We'll just have to start being a more talkative bunch, I guess. Then maybe you'll have motivation to stick around.

I agree.  Unfortunately my new internship is eating much of my spare time, but I try to make it on here every other day or so, just to check up and see if anything's "a-buzzin".
"Hell, I vote for outer space.  No way these are local boys."
Matt

Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

Oh, that's just my alarm clock/molecular destabilizer.
I like cheese.
The Dark Agent

Welcome back Agent.
I agree.  Unfortunately my new internship is eating much of my spare time, but I try to make it on here every other day or so, just to check up and see if anything's "a-buzzin".
Thanks.  When I came back last year I was suddenly struck down by one architecture project after another (man, I was a wreck by May).  So, now I finally have my bachelor's degree and await grad school. 

As for FODI, I don't suspect anything MAJOR happened in the plotline...unless my character finally happened to be introduced in a cameo...huh Matt? 8)  Not that I don't like my FODI classic avatar, but I'd would be nice to have him in the current FODI style. lol  Oh, and yes, my vanity has no ends.
Lindsay

Thanks.  When I came back last year I was suddenly struck down by one architecture project after another (man, I was a wreck by May).  So, now I finally have my bachelor's degree and await grad school.

Neat! What are you going to go to grad school for?
I'm getting my undergrad in May (I'm graduating a year early), and then, God willing, I'll be going to grad school next fall. I'll either be getting an MA or a PhD, depending upon what I want to do for my thesis (I have to decide before I apply. So, basically, this fall. Eeeek.). I'll probably end up doing the MA, though, because I have this slight problem with overachieving and perfectionism and so I naturally lean towards the PhD, which is only a year longer than the MA, and I kind of need to work on getting away from that problem. The only real motivation for me to go for the PhD is so that I can be Dr. Lindsay, which once I actually think about it seems like an awful reason to do a PhD. And what's more, the only benefit it would give me is the ability to be a professor which wasn't in the game plan to begin with and professors are often required to do academic research, and I don't want to do that, especially not if they tell me I HAVE to. But, whatever. I need to worry about taking the GRE in the fall and coming up with a thesis/dissertation proposal (I come up with ideas, then Google them only to find out they've already been done!) and, you know, actually getting into grad school first.
Very Sleepy People

The Dark Agent

I'm getting my Masters in Architecture.  Don't worry about the GRE, if you did good on your SATs in high school, the GRE is basically the same thing, but be sure to study or take a refresher course.  The course helped me a lot.

Lindsay

I'm getting my Masters in Architecture.  Don't worry about the GRE, if you did good on your SATs in high school, the GRE is basically the same thing, but be sure to study or take a refresher course.  The course helped me a lot.

Oh, neat! It seems like not many people go into architecture anymore. Nowadays everyone wants to be a doctor, a lawyer or a teacher. Or at least in my experiences those are three most popular professions. About half of everyone I meet wants to go into one of those areas. It's craziness.

I'm going to be taking a GRE course starting like the week after I get to school. My dad isn't too terribly happy about paying the $1149, but I don't care. He's the one that's been pushing me towards grad school for the past SIX YEARS. At first I refused because, but have since changed my mind. Since he's getting his way here, and since he's not paying for my schooling, I don't think it's too much to ask for him to pay for the GRE course. I've talked to the co-director of the programme I want to enter (guy's from Scotland; got his PhD at Oxford and is very much enthusiastic about what he does) and he said that the GRE isn't that big of a factor in admissions, as long as I do decently on it (elatedness!). However, I'm paranoid, and this is THE programme that I want to do, so I don't want to make any screw-ups, so that's why I'm going to take the course. Plus, the GRE was supposed to change this month, but I read recently that they've decided to not change it. I don't know what's going on with that. Grades are important (mine are much more than fine), but from what I gathered, the real emphasis is on the proposal that we submit with our application. It's not run the same way most MA & PhD programmes are; you have to know specifically what you want to study when you apply. You submit a MA or a PhD proposal in with your application to the programme, which more or less means I shall be spending hours in the archives when I get back to school trying to figure out what I want to do.
Very Sleepy People

The Dark Agent

Oh, neat! It seems like not many people go into architecture anymore. Nowadays everyone wants to be a doctor, a lawyer or a teacher. Or at least in my experiences those are three most popular professions. About half of everyone I meet wants to go into one of those areas. It's craziness.
Well, a lot of has to do that its one of the hardest majors.  Not to say that becoming a lawyer or doctor is any easier per se, but at least in Law and Medicine all the answers are basically in a book.  Architecture on the other hand is mostly a subjective major.  One teacher may give you an A on a project declaring it the best in the class, while another will give you a C if you are lucky and declare that you set back the design profession at least ten years.  Last Fall I had a professor give me a C on a project that I did all that was required, worked over 48 hrs straight on the model without sleeping, and did a hell of a lot more than some of the other groups (a lot of them didn't even finish).  When we presented the projects I ended up getting lower grades than some of the students with the unfinished projects.  (to get to know how odd this guy was, he purposely wore his belt buckle off to the side to purposly "throw off symmetry.")  It was a 6 hr class to boot, so it really hurt my GRA at a time I needed it to be high to get into grad school.   Still, I put that project into my grad. school portfolio (you never put the grades you made in the portfolio for obvious reasons), and that project got me two letters of reccommendation from other professors that saw it.  I've been heralded as a good student by some profs, and others have humiliated me in front of class saying stuff like, "You don't know the first thing about design" or "You're not devoted enough to the arch of architecture" (this coming from a prof. after three solid nights of working on a single project with circles around my darks that wear so dark, you might I thought I had on thick rimmed glasses).  And then of course there's the architecture student's that constantly got As on their work.  Usually their "designs" had nothing to do with architecture.  Like this one guy didn't get a haircut or shave the entire year, then set up a publicity stunt in the atrium where he was shaved in public and did yoga afterwards.  This was declared by many of the faculty as a "Great Work of Art" and he was given an A in his studio for doing nothing while the rest of us toiled endlessly on projects that had something to do with making buildings.  ARG!

But...that's water under the bridge now since I got into grad school.  As for your GRE, since you're college says the scores don't really matter so much for admission, I'd say that your target should be anything over 1200.  Oh, and aren't the prices of those courses highway robbery? :)  As useful as they are, I can't believe they get away with charging us $1000 fees on them.  Oh, and another thing about the GRE, it's a "smart" test.  You take it on the computer.  The first five to ten questions each section gauge your abilities.  So after you answer the first few questions and then suddenly they start getting really hard and complex, take it as a good sign that you're doing well.  If the questions start getting really easy, then you're probably doing pretty bad because the test adapted to you getting wrong answers and thus gave you easy ones because it pitied you.

If you've got any more questions on the GRE and the like, I'll be happy to answer.
« previous next »
Print
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: