Fodi site logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Search:     Advanced search
+  Fodi at Baldninja.com
|-+  Fodi: The Forums
| |-+  News
| | |-+  Ten. Ten Thousand Days. Ha ha ha ha.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Ten. Ten Thousand Days. Ha ha ha ha.  (Read 6470 times) Print
Matt

Group: Administrator
Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

I updated my voting incentive.  More about that at the end of this news post, so if you aren't interested in Tool (and why wouldn't you be?), then skip to the bottom for info, or just vote for it here.

On my first listen of the new Tool album (10,000 days), I wasn't everly impressed.  I kept wanting them to start rocking out.  I felt like the last half of the album was boring and not very rockin.

On my second listen, I realised I have no idea what I thought I was listening to the first time.  It ends up pretty rocking.  My main problem was that you can't just stick this in your car CD player and drive down the road.  I mean, you can, but you just can't absorb the CD if you aren't paying close attention to it.  Sure, you can pay close attention to it while driving, but then you're likely to crash into things, which is generally considered a bad idea.

Vicarious has some pretty lame lyrics.  Blah blah. We're all becoming zombies watching TV because we like to see violence and death happen remotely to other people because it intrigues us.  That kind of thing.  But the music is decidedly Tool and really gets you straight into the album.  So I can forgive the lameness of the lyrics.

As for Jambi.. I never pay much attention to this track. I think I get too caught up in the music of Vicarious to really feel this one.  Is seems like a happening track, but unmemorable.

http://Wings for Marie is more or less an intro to 10,000 Days, but it's an excellent piece.  Mostly quite, but it builds up a bit and leads in well.  You can feel the emotion Maynard has in regards to his late mother.

10,000 Days is my favorite track on the whole cd.  The music is pretty awesome in my opinion.  On my first listen, I once remarked to myself that the bass is not identical to the guitars.  Everything is a bit complex and complements the other insruments very well.  Lyrics are almost poetic in addition to being full of emotion and a little spirituality.  It's long, especially when combined with Wings pt 1, but a great experience.

The Pot is about pot. I haven't really paid much attention to the lyrics.  The vocal effects on Maynard's voice are a bit distracting at first, but the music is pretty kickass once you get into it.  Very Tool.

Lipan Conjuring is basically a filler track. Indians (Lipan Indians) chanting and such.  Decent bridge between The Pot and the rest of the album, I guess.

Lost Keys seems to be a filler track, but it really really sets the mood for Rosetta Stoned and it functions as on intro for that.  Listen to it and absorb it because it will pull you right into Rosetta Stoned.

Rosetta Stoned
is a man's response to the end of Lost Keys.  If you can pay attention to the lyrics (they go by FAST), think man gets abducted by aliens, bizarre experiences, set up as some sort of hero, but forgets why he was, and what he was supposed to tell people.  Music is fast-paced, cyclical, and cool.  Blends into Intension very well.

Intension
is mellow, quiet, but I found it fairly intriguing.  I don't have much to comment on the lyrics as I haven't given them too much attension, but the music is a nice bridge between Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two.  Not much to say, but I like the track, despite it seeming somewhat fillerish.

Right in Two
. I remember it as being pretty cool, with good lyrics, but I can't seem to piece together any real comments.  It's not the most memorable track for me, though a lot of other people seem to like it a lot.

Viginti Tres
is latin for Twenty Three. Anyone interested in mysticism and such probably knows its significance.  It's mostly a filler track, which is strange being that it's the last track.  People say that if you play it at the same time as some of Tool's other "filler" tracks it adds a cool effect.  Start Mantra (from Lateralus) at about 0:23 of Viginti Tres and let it repeat. The combined sound is pretty cool.

This CD has the best  packaging ever.  If you need any other reason to buy it, buy it for the packaging.  Stereograms and glasses. Whee!

Incentive!
My current incentive is a drawing I did of one of my long-running Dungeons and Dragons characters.  It's a fairly old drawing, but I thought I'd sahre some of my older stuff with you. Vote to see that here.

If you really liked the zombie Sally, you can still see her by voting at buzzComix here.
-------------------------------
I like cheese.
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile WWW Email
Dasha

Position: Soldier of Justice

I remember that character.

I never did figure out what crowelfguy's sword did, either.
img]http://www.nightmasks.org/dasha-doll1.gif[/img]
I look like this. Really, I swear.
Matt

Group: Administrator
Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

We really ought to try to get some gaming started up again sometime.

Probably on a weekend, since that's the only time I ever really might have time to game.
I like cheese.
Dasha

You should talk to Josh about getting in on the game he's starting. Since the only time I can stay up late is on the weekend, that's when he'll probably be doing most of his GMing.
foidulus
Position: Aimless Driver

What about my paladin sticking his head in unholy water?
ever Accepted Nancyless Chinese Yodels Whilst Imbibing Lovely Lagers Yet Our Undying Mores Always Residually Run Yesterday So O.K?
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile Email
Dasha

Is unholy water anything like cheap whiskey?
« previous next »
Print
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: