Fodi site logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Search:     Advanced search
+  Fodi at Baldninja.com
|-+  Fodi: The Forums
| |-+  Comic Reactions
| | |-+  something i noticed...
Pages: [1]
Topic: something i noticed...  (Read 6384 times) Print
lbennett
Position: Aimless Driver

reading today's comic i saw some similarities

"A people that far outdated our own"
"The ancients left ruins in several parts of our world"
"They possessed a technology that surpassed ours by leaps and bounds"
"Slowly, we began to study their artifacts and use them for the betterment of our own society"
"The culmination of our discoveries was the unearthing of the devices from a hidden city deep on the ocean floor"

It's identical to the ancients from Stargate  :|
hopefully it's just coincidence as this comic's great and the writing is superb  :roll:
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile Email
Steve

Group: Administrator
Position: Hiyah-weizen

Yeah, I'm aware of the stargate ancients, but don't worry. Ours didn't make a galaxy-travelling city, any kind of wormhole devices, or ascend to a higher state of being. I was actually worried about someone thinking we were ripping off stargate but calling them "precursors" or "old ones" or whatever fared no better. Face it, there is no way anyone can have powerful artifacts from the past without being thought of as ripping off someone. So much crap has been done around that plot point.

I'll get into more of this after the rest of the book story, but for now I'll just say mystery people != stargate. The only reason there are similarities is because that is some of the oldest areas on earth, and 75% of the planet is ocean.
-------------------------------
Steve
In  the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower's a perfect one
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile WWW Email
lbennett

cool, thought as much but it's just nice to know it's not a rip-off  :P
Matt

Group: Administrator
Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

I actually never thought about stargate during the whole writing process of this backstory.  I only watched the first season of SG1 and parts of the second when they first aired though, so it really wasn't too influential probably.

As Steve pointed out, it pretty much just bears resemblance to any story involving anicent cultures with advanced technology.  Part of how I wrote the initial draft of the book-reading (and part of how I draw it) actually comes from a D&D culture I made up while designing up my own gaming world... which isn't too complete even to this day.
I like cheese.
The Dark Agent

Position: Soldier of Justice

This is The Agent speaking...

It's more Atlantean if anything when I'm reading it.
Click and become one with your inner villain at the Intl. Evil Collective
minignome
Position: Lesser Justice

Could always avoid ripping somebody off by assuming that the peoples of the past had an inferior technology and no reason to go after it... wait, that's ripping off history, sorry ;o)
lbennett

Quote from: "minignome"
Could always avoid ripping somebody off by assuming that the peoples of the past had an inferior technology and no reason to go after it... wait, that's ripping off history, sorry ;o)

:lol:
« previous next »
Print
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: