Fodi site logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Search:     Advanced search
+  Fodi at Baldninja.com
|-+  Fodi: The Forums
| |-+  News
| | |-+  Computer Go Boom
Pages: [1]
Topic: Computer Go Boom  (Read 5382 times) Print
Matt

Group: Administrator
Position: Ninja with Hair Loss

Last night my home computer began its death throws, throwing a Stop 0xD1 BSOD when trying to boot into regular (aka not safe mode) windows XP, so whatever driver blew up wasn't something loaded in safe mode.

Only the problem was that I couldn't figure out what was blowing up. I had just done a restart after a windows update, so I rolled back to an earlier restore point... same problem. I rolled back a whole month (and I've restarted before in that month) and it still crapped the bed.  Finally during one of my safe mode boots, I plugged in my external hard drive and grabbed all the comic files (all the high res masters, etc) and other data I considered important from my computer.  This morning, I couldn't get past the BIOS. The BIOS would run in its own magical safe mode, then when I fixed the stuff and it went to restart... nothing. Black screen.  I can hear the relays clicking when I initially power it on, but they don't click when it goes to restart.  So I'm very very glad I grabbed all the comic stuff, because only once in about 30 minutes of trying did I mangaed to get it to actually boot (into safe mode).

Looks like my scanner plays well with my work laptop, so I'll be able to scan, color, and upload things, but Monday's comic may be delayed.

Now I just need some way to afford to buy a new computer because I have no clue what's wrong with mine now. (Motherboard? Power Supply?  RAM seems okay.)
-------------------------------
I like cheese.
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile WWW Email
Steve

Group: Administrator
Position: Hiyah-weizen

Eeep! That sucks. Definitely sounds like a motherboard issue. What are you running nowadays?
-------------------------------
Steve
In  the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower's a perfect one
 IP: [ Logged ] View Profile WWW Email
David
Group: Guest
Did you disconnect everything from the mother board and see if it POST?

Last night my home computer began its death throws, throwing a Stop 0xD1 BSOD when trying to boot into regular (aka not safe mode) windows XP, so whatever driver blew up wasn't something loaded in safe mode.

Only the problem was that I couldn't figure out what was blowing up. I had just done a restart after a windows update, so I rolled back to an earlier restore point... same problem. I rolled back a whole month (and I've restarted before in that month) and it still crapped the bed.  Finally during one of my safe mode boots, I plugged in my external hard drive and grabbed all the comic files (all the high res masters, etc) and other data I considered important from my computer.  This morning, I couldn't get past the BIOS. The BIOS would run in its own magical safe mode, then when I fixed the stuff and it went to restart... nothing. Black screen.  I can hear the relays clicking when I initially power it on, but they don't click when it goes to restart.  So I'm very very glad I grabbed all the comic stuff, because only once in about 30 minutes of trying did I mangaed to get it to actually boot (into safe mode).

Looks like my scanner plays well with my work laptop, so I'll be able to scan, color, and upload things, but Monday's comic may be delayed.

Now I just need some way to afford to buy a new computer because I have no clue what's wrong with mine now. (Motherboard? Power Supply?  RAM seems okay.)
 IP: [ Logged ]

Email
« previous next »
Print
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: